Sunday, January 8, 2012
What are persuasive appeals?
Aristotle created three types of proofs or appeals. These proofs, which I will undoubtedly get tattooed on my buttocks, are logos, pathos, and ethos. Translated these mean reason (logic), emotion, and character (ethics). Aristotle states that the way to try and persuade a person would be through the use of all three of these appeals. To appeal to the masses one must stand on a platform that will make everyone happy, even if the masses are only one person. If you can say something that grabs someone by the heart, stand by someone's ethical views, or just make a plain and simple down to earth statement, then someone somewhere will agree with you. In the end, all that matters to me is that the logic is sound, and I think Spock would agree with me on that.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I always ask myself, "What would Spock do?"
ReplyDeleteSpock would be one mean mother when it comes to logical appeals. And with closing statements like "Live long and prosper", who could argue?
ReplyDelete